Come to the East West Asheville Summer Picnic!

1 Aug

Please join us for the 3rd annual East West Asheville Summer Picnic hosted by EWANA at Hall Fletcher Park from 4-7 pm on Saturday, August 8th.  Come by to share food and catch up with old friends, meet new people, and find out what’s happening in our fast changing neighborhood. This event is a potluck/covered dish so please bring a dish to share if you can, a chair if you have one, and plates/silverware. Cool playground, sidewalk chalk and kickball for kids so bring them with you!  Bring a neighbor who hasn’t been to an EWANA event yet!  See you there!

(Note: Earlier on this day check out another family fun event at Hall Fletcher that benefits the PTO, http://www.slidethefletch.com.  Make it a day in the neighborhood!)
Hall Fletcher Park is located behind Hall Fletcher Elementary School (60 Ridgelawn Rd.) and is also accessible off of Bradley Street.
(This social event replaces the quarterly business meeting of EWANA for summer – in case of rain the event will be postponed to the following Saturday)

RSVP on facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/events/446773362162233/

Slide2

Neighborhood Vision Plan Meetings

23 Jun

EWANA Direct Mailer 2015a

EWANA will be hosting a series of meetings to formulate a neighborhood vision plan to submit to the city. Our neighborhood vision plan is to be included in the city-wide comprehensive plan that will effect how our neighborhood will develop in future years.
Please help us spread the word to your neighbors!
Full schedule of Neighborhood Vision Meetings
Thursday May 28 | 6-8pm
Sunday June 7 | 2-4pm
Tuesday July 14 |6-8pm
*All meetings will be held at EAST WEST 278 Haywood Rd.
Very proudly sponsored by:
EWANA Sponsors May 2015a
 

Board Minutes May 2015

3 Jun

EWANA Board Meeting

May 6, 2015

Minutes

 

In Attendance: Adam Chase, Mandy Chase, Stephen Edge, Ted Figura, Rich Lee (partial), Jason Mann, Kirk Weir.

Absent were: Joshua Martin and Rich Lee (partial)

 

Mandy asked that minutes of the April 8 Board meeting wait for approval until additional comments could be supplied by Board members.

 

Adam announced that he had raised $1,200 for EWANA to send out a mailer to the entire East-West Asheville neighborhood. The mailer will promote the Visioning process, announce dates for community input gathering and announce the date for EWANA’s pot-luck. Three hundred dollar contributions were each made by Short Street Cakes, The Hop, King Daddy and Second Gear. Mail Management Services will print and mail the mailer at a discounted rate. The amount collected is more than the anticipated cost of the mailing campaign and it was the sense of the Board that any excess funds should be used for EWANA promotional activity.

 

Adam asked for a discussion on the agenda for the upcoming EWANA Neighborhood Meeting.   While the neighborhood visioning process would be a core component of this agenda, Adam noted that the meeting needs to be broader than just the visioning process. Jason brought up the idea of having the visioning input sessions professionally facilitated. Jason said he could be in touch with a pair of facilitators he knows. The Board then discussed ways by which the visioning input sessions could be facilitated. Ted said that he had a strong opinion that the traditional facilitating process, which involves appearing to arrive at community consensus on priorities by forcing choices to a limited number of options in order to narrow ideas through a voting process, is flawed because it either must leave out many good ideas and nuances from the final input collection or it presents a false appearance that the group has arrived at decisions that will be formulated into the community vision. Ted noted the recent French Broad Coop visioning effort as a model for input gathering and recommended that the visioning sessions stop at input gathering. Stephen commented that there are a number of facilitators living in our neighborhood that EWANA could engage in our visioning process.

 

At this point, Rich said that he had to leave but needed to hand over the EWANA account to Stephen, EWANA’s new Treasurer, before he left. Rich gave Stephen a check from the account he had been keeping for EWANA in the amount of $392.71. Additionally, Adam will give Stephen $1,200.00 in checks to deposit. Stephen said that he would donate the $100.00 he deposited into the EWANA account in order to open it.

 

 

 

The discussion then returned to the visioning process. Kirk asked for an explanation of the vision plan. Mandy responded that, at the last CAN meeting, the City had asked all neighborhoods to develop a vision plan for where they wanted to see the neighborhood going in the future. The City provided little guidance, except to say that the plans should be realistic.

 

The question was then asked about how input would be provided in the vision plan input sessions. Adam said that he had envisioned that the vision plan input meetings would have four stations. One would have a distilled list of issues identified in past meetings by EWANA members as being important to the neighborhood, with a mechanism for attendees to vote on these. At another station, attendees would list their most important issues/visions for the neighborhood. Discussions that would generate ideas for a neighborhood vision would take place at a third station. Adam said that his concept for a fourth station was unclear but probably something with maps or drawings.

 

The Board continued its discussion of the visioning process including discussions of whether names and addresses should be required for giving input, the role of facilitators, and the nature of input (about infrastructure or broader) and how it could be elicited. Ted said that he had been gathering input while distributing fliers asking neighbors about their concerns and had received comments on a wide variety of topics. The importance of identifying contributors to verify they were East-West Asheville residents and to prevent “ballot stuffing” was discussed. The Board agreed on three measures. 1) Some identification mechanism was needed as input is gathered to verify neighborhood membership and prevent duplicate input from the same attendees. 2) Adam, Jason and Stephen will reach out to facilitators they know to invite them to meet with the Board (at least two Board members and as many as can attend) to see if they are interested in helping EWANA through the visioning process on a volunteer basis. This would ideally be the facilitator consulting with the Board and advising the Board on best facilitation practices. 3) Some hierarchical framework should be developed for collecting and analyzing the community input.

 

The Board also agreed that Alan Glines, the City’s Interim Planning Director, should be invited to the May 13 neighborhood meeting to give a 15-20 minute overview presentation on neighborhood visioning and what the City is looking for in a neighborhood vision plan. After this, Ted will take 5-10 minutes to promote the upcoming vision plan events and explain the process (to the extent that process has been defined). Ted will also explain the importance of gathering name and address information from participants.

 

Jason then showed the Board a map of East-West Asheville he had plotted.   Jason will transform the map from a dot map to a heat map and have it available for the neighborhood meeting.   Stephen will print the map. After the map is introduced, Ted will continue, soliciting immediate community input through attendees filling out comment cards. Ted will provide the questions for the card to Mandy, who will design the card. Stephen will print the cards. Stephen will also provide a box for collecting the cards.

 

 

The cards will become a part of the visioning input, along with cards and comments collected at previous neighborhood meetings and comments solicited through door-to-door canvassing. Stephen voiced the Board’s view that these comment, or suggestion, cards should be a part of every neighborhood meeting. There was also agreement, regarding soliciting visioning input, that this should not be confined to input through cards and visioning meetings but that all possible sources should be used, including electronic media.

 

Adam mentioned that members of the Safety Committee had been active in suggesting the importance of organizing neighborhood watches. Jason proposed that the West Asheville APD community resource officer receive a standing invitation to attend EWANA neighborhood meetings. The purpose would be for introduction and a question and answer session. Mandy suggested there be a box on the comment card that would ask whether members are interested in forming a neighborhood watch and would turn those names over to the Safety Committee.

 

The Board then discussed filling the empty seat on the Board at the neighborhood meeting. A question arose whether EWANA would have more than one seat available on the Board due to Joshua’s recent inactivity and Rich’s apparent limited commitment to attend future Board meetings. Adam will send an email from the Board to ask Joshua and Rich about their disposition for continuing to serve on the EWANA Board. Ted was asked to review and report Board member attendance of Board meetings since the last time Board vacancies were filled. The Board agreed that if one seat were available on the Board, it would be filled by bringing a Board recommendation to the membership meeting, per the EWANA by-laws but if more than one seat were available the Board would ask for volunteers and, if more members volunteered than available positions, names would be drawn from a hat. There was consensus that the by-laws need to be revisited on this matter but the Board will address this at the September Board meeting.

 

Adam next brought up New Belgium as a topic for the neighborhood meeting. There will be a New Belgium Roundtable meeting next Monday at 9 am on Richland. Adam and Stephen will attend. Stephen said that he had met recently with Jay (New Belgium manager) who told Stephen that New Belgium has no choice but to use Haywood Road for truck routing for a period of time. Stephen said that Jay said that New Belgium will not buy two sets of trucks, one to use now and one to use later. Skepticism was expressed as to whether New Belgium truly has no choice. [Not said at Board meeting, but New Belgium certainly has the opportunity to lease smaller trucks in the interim, rather than buying them.] Ted noted that this means that New Belgium would be running large trucks on Haywood Road for the next five years and asked whether this was acceptable, to which several Board members responded that it was not. Ted asked whether it was time for EWANA to communicate to the Fort Collins office of New Belgium the neighborhood’s opposition to large trucks using Haywood for any extended period of time. Several members of the Board agreed that it was time to do this. Stephen will present a New Belgium update to the membership unless Joshua has agreed to remain on the Board.

 

 

Adam then brought to the Board’s attention that Gordon Grant, principal of Hall Fletcher Elementary School, who has been very supportive of EWANA and supplying meeting space for EWANA activities, has asked for EWANA’s assistance in raising funds for the school playground. Adam suggested fund raising at the meeting.  Gordon Grant would make a presentation at the meeting and ask for donations. EWANA would also solicit donations for Hall Fletcher from its membership via email. The Board agreed with this approach.

 

Stephen then recommended that EWANA adopt a strategy for annual fund raising from major neighborhood stakeholders (businesses), as well as minor stakeholders. Kirk said that EWANA needs to show what the funds are needed for and give examples of past successful uses of funds raised by EWANA. The Board agreed that fundraising was a topic that needed to be addressed at a future meeting.

 

Adam then suggested that Ted present a sidewalk art project update at the neighborhood meeting, including a projected time line for the project. The date of the August potluck would also be announced at the meeting.

 

Mandy then presented the draft mailer. The color scheme, font, and design were discussed. Also discussed was whether to request contact information on the mailer but the Board decided not to use the mailer for this purpose. Kirk suggested some text additions which Mandy will incorporate into the mailer. Board members praised Mandy for her work designing the mailer. Mandy will verify donor logos and send the draft mailer to Mail Management Services for validation and printing.

 

Stephen asked whether a Board member could call into a Board meeting if they were out of town and there were no objections to this. There was also a discussion on the need to update the EWANA website. The Board needs to find out who the website technical administrator is and where the domain is hosted. Adam noted that EWANA’s .org domain may be about to expire.

Stephen gave an update on lowering the speed limit on Amboy Road. He had been given a contact at NCDOT by the City but that contact has been unresponsive. Stephen was told that it is extremely difficult to get a speed limit lowered.

 

Adam recapped the topics for the May 13 EWANA neighborhood meeting. These are: 1) presentation by Alan Glines on the visioning process; presentation by Ted on EWANA’s visioning process and meeting calendar; presentation of map of EWANA membership and Ted stressing importance and rationale for collecting contact information at visioning input sessions; passing out of comment/suggestion cards; introduction and question & answer session by APD community resource officer; presentation by Gordon Grant on Hall Fletcher fundraiser and request for contributions; New Belgium update; filling of vacant Board member seat(s); announcement of August potluck. He will assemble a final order and send this to the Board.

 

 

Action Item Summary

 

New Action Items

 

  • Stephen will deposit funds in new EWANA bank account. Adam will give Stephen $1,200 in contributions to deposit.
  • Adam, Jason and Stephen will each approach facilitators known to them to ask them to meet with Board members and volunteer advice on facilitating EWANA visioning process
  • Adam will invite Alan Glines to make a presentation at the May 13 EWANA neighborhood meeting on the visioning process
  • Ted will send to the Board a report of recent attendance (Done)
  • Ted will send Mandy 3 questions to be asked on the comment card to be distributed at the neighborhood meeting. Mandy will design the comment card. Stephen will print the cards. Stephen will make a box to collect the cards.
  • Jason will transform the map of EWANA membership into a heat map. Stephen will print this map for the neighborhood meeting.
  • Adam and Stephen will attend the New Belgium Roundtable meeting on May 11.
  • Adam will email Joshua and Rich about resigning or remaining on the Board.
  • Adam will invite Gordon Grant to make a presentation on Hall Fletcher playground fundraising at the neighborhood meeting.
  • Mandy will make changes to the mailer and shepherd getting it printed and mailed.
  • Kirk will post neighborhood meeting fliers at businesses on Haywood Road
  • All will publicize upcoming neighborhood meeting.

Hold Over Action Items

  • Ted will explore how other communities maintain their sidewalk art.
  • Adam will prepare a proposal developing the idea of using a promotional brochure featuring sidewalk artists as a fundraising device.
  • Kirk will explore with the City how to obtain a Tier III designation for properties along Beecham’s Curve, next to Mountain Valley Spring Water and Builders First.
  • Mandy will email Ava Carr to see if EWANA is approved yet for an Adopt-a-Highway program along Haywood Road.
  • Jason and Adam need to figure out the admin roles for the EWANA website.
  • Stephen will investigate how other small organizations have used a fiscal agent.

Board Minutes April 2015

6 May

EWANA Board Meeting

April 8, 2015

Minutes

 

In Attendance: Adam Chase, Mandy Chase, Stephen Edge, Ted Figura, Jason Mann, Kirk Weir.

Absent were: Rich Lee and Joshua Martin

 

Minutes of the February 4, 2015 EWANA Board meeting and the February 10 EWANA neighborhood meeting were approved and will be posted. Ideas for future projects generated at the committee break-outs at the neighborhood meeting will be appended to the neighborhood meeting minutes. Stephen Edge will forward notes from the Infrastructure and Transportation section.

 

Ted informed the Board of progress on the Haywood Road Sidewalk Art project. The Sidewalk Art Committee met on March 16 and the Board was copied on the email to Committee members summarizing that meeting. Adam asked about input needed from the Board. Ted said that one major item was the maintenance agreement to be signed by EWANA and the City. Two issues that need particular attention qre the question of liability and how to handle graffiti. Ted recommended that anyone placing art within the frames that the City will install sign a waiver holding harmless both EWANA and the City. Ted did not see a need for EWANA to obtain liability insurance.

 

Ted said that the City would remove any graffiti placed along the sidewalk but that EWANA would be responsible for graffiti removal within the frames. There was a discussion about responsibility if and when graffiti was placed both inside/on the frame and on the sidewalk outside the frame. How this situation would be handled needs to be clarified in the Agreement.

 

Kirk suggested that the Agreement include a provision that EWANA would have a certain number of days from written notification from the City to remove graffiti and after that period the City would remove it. If EWANA does not remove graffiti within the frames, the City will do this but their method would destroy the frame. A question arose about whether EWANA should let the City remove the graffiti and just replace the frame. There was also a question about who would be notified and there was agreement that this should be the Chair.

 

There were also questions about what methods would be acceptable to the City to remove graffiti. A suggestion was made that EWANA find out from local businesses how they remove graffiti and explore contracting for graffiti removal. Ted suggested that the best graffiti prevention was to have the frames filled with art as soon as possible, since empty frames would invite tagging.

 

With regard to general maintenance, it remains unclear how often this will need to be done and this will ultimately be learned from experience. The Board requested that EWANA ask for free rent of a small storage space at a City maintenance building for maintenance supplies (stain, stencils). The Board also requested that the Committee explore how other communities maintain their sidewalk art.

 

There was also a question about how the sidewalk art would be maintained if EWANA ceased to exist. Ted said that the Agreement is currently drafted so that if this were to occur, the City would take over responsibility and would be able to do what they wanted with the sidewalk art (i.e. maintain it or destroy it).

 

Adam brought up the issue of fundraising for the project. EWANA will need to purchase supplies for the installation of the art by local artists and will also need to have funds for maintenance. Adam told the Board that there had been discussion at the Sidewalk Art Committee meeting about paying artists. Although a number of Committee members were in favor of this, opinion was divided. The opinion of Board members and former Board members on the Committee was that it would be best if the artists volunteered. However, an idea that combines non-monetary compensation with fundraising is to produce a brochure that features the artists and contains advertisements paid for by Haywood Road businesses. The brochure could be distributed at Haywood Road businesses and other venues and would also be on-line. The Board requested further development of this idea. Adam will put a proposal together regarding a promotional brochure.

 

A fundraising event was also discussed. Adam reported that he had discussions with a Haywood Road business owner about such an event in which 10% of the businesses sales would be donated to EWANA. This is a concept that could be extended to other Haywood Road businesses. Alcohol would be available or not available depending on the business. Adam suggested that proceeds go to EWANA generally, not to the sidewalk art project specifically. However, this would provide EWANA with funds to support the sidewalk art project. The idea of a block party was also discussed but some members of the Board thought this should be a separate event.

 

Kirk then reported that he had met with Greg Schuler at the City. Greg said that the north side of Craven Street will be open by the end of April. However, he said that it may be the end of the year before the Craven Street project is completely finished. Ted remarked that this may affect the timetable for the sidewalk art project. Ted will check with Robert Kun regarding this.

 

Kirk also reported that the City is in favor of lowering the speed limit on Amboy Road to 35 mph and that it is on the City’s agenda with NCDOT to communicate that the speed limit had been changed in the wrong direction. Kirk also said that he had opened a discussion to make Richland Street sidewalk eligible, which would mean that when the lots for sale on that street are developed, the City would make the developer install sidewalks. Kirk also expressed concern about the future development of properties on Beecham’s Curve, the vacant property next to Mountain Valley Spring Water, and Builders First. Kirk said that these properties need to be classified as Tier III in order for there to be community input accepted before development is approved by the City. Kirk will explore the process for requesting this.

 

 

 

 

Adam reported that the Safety Committee had requested an hour at the next neighborhood meeting for a police presentation. The Board noted that EWANA had a police presentation at the last two neighborhood meetings and that there needed to be demonstrated demand for help setting up neighborhood crime watches if another presentation is to be scheduled. The Board agreed that if the Safety Committee could provide evidence of streets wanting a crime watch, this could be put on the agenda. Jason noted that plotting the addresses of EWANA members could be helpful in targeting streets as potential crime watch areas. Jason will prepare a map plotted with EWANA member addresses. This would be done without attaching names to addresses.

 

Adam returned the discussion to fundraising. Adam suggested using a mailer to canvas the EWANA neighborhood to get more people involved in EWANA.   This would be more efficient than distributing flyers door to door. The Board agreed that this should be done prior to the summer pot luck. The Board also thought that EWANA needed to rebrand itself with a logo. The Board agreed that this would be a topic for another meeting.

 

Adam reported that he had met with Steve Cooperman, who is occupying the former Wee Wiggles day care center. Adam reported that Cooperman was unaware of EWANA and offered to organize the neighborhood and to create a vision plan. Adam thanked Cooperman for his offer and told him about the efforts we have been putting forth as a community, that we are working on a vision plan for the neighborhood already and that he would be welcome to attend our community meetings. Adam said that Cooperman was leasing the space and offering to provide space within the building to any business or organization that would build its own tenant improvements. Adam said the current condition of the building does not fit the current needs of EWANA and, as a volunteer organization, we do not have the time or money to invest in changing the condition of the building. Adam said that we would be happy to consider the space and that he would let Mr. Cooperman know if something came up that made sense for EWANA.

 

Adam reminded everyone about the meeting hosted by CAN on visioning on April 13 at 7pm at the Oakley Community Center on 749 Fairview Rd. He encouraged all Board members to attend. The City is about to update its comprehensive plan and neighborhoods with vision plans will have those plans taken into consideration by the City.

 

Adam said that he felt more comfortable selecting a new Board member at the next neighborhood meeting through the volunteer process, rather than through Board appointment as stated in EWANA’s by-laws. The Board agreed and EWANA will ask for a volunteer to serve on the Board (to fill the position left vacant by Sarah Carew’s resignation) at the next neighborhood meeting. If no one volunteers, the Board will then appoint someone.

 

Adam said that both Mandy and Ted had noted that EWANA neighborhood meetings fall on the same day as City Council meetings and they had recommended changing EWANA’s regular neighborhood meeting date. The Board felt that it would be best to hold the meeting after City Council meets rather than before. The Board agreed that neighborhood meetings would now be held on the second Wednesday of May, August, November and February. The next EWANA neighborhood meeting will be on May 13 from 6pm to 8pm. The next EWANA Board meeting will be on May 6 from 7pm to 9pm. Jason will host the meeting. Adam recommended that the Board use email to plan an agenda for the neighborhood meeting prior to the Board meeting, which will be used to finalize planning.

Mandy asked about the status of the Adopt a Highway program, noting that we should reach out again to Ava Carr to find out whether the program has officially been approved for EWANA. Mandy will email Ava concerning this.

 

Jason noted that barriers to engagement keep many people from participating in civic affairs. He recommended finding ways for EWANA to lower barriers to engagement. Adam noted, positively, the relatively large turn-out at the last neighborhood meeting where the main topic was committee participation. Ted noted that mailers are a way to grow our membership without the burden (barrier to engagement) of door-to-door organizing.

 

Action Item Summary

 

New Action Items

 

  • Adam will post, or cause to be posted, the minutes of the February EWANA Board meeting and of the February EWANA neighborhood meeting.
  • Ted will prepare draft minutes for the current meeting.
  • Ted will ask the City how local businesses remove graffiti and what methods are acceptable to the City. Ted will ask Robert Kun whether the delay in completing the Craven Street project, potentially till the end of the year, will delay the Haywood Road sidewalk project. Ted will also ask Robert Kun whether the City could provide free space to store sidewalk art frame repair materials. Ted will explore how other communities maintain their sidewalk art. Ted will continue to convene the Sidewalk Art Committee to draft an EWANA-City maintenance agreement for the Board’s review and to make recommendations concerning other sidewalk art decisions (frame placement, color, sidewalk art policy, sidewalk art cost estimate, etc.).
  • Stephen will provide Ted with idea recommendations from the Infrastructure and Transportation Committee discussion at the February neighborhood meeting (the list had been recently found).
  • Adam will prepare a proposal developing the idea of using a promotional brochure featuring sidewalk artists as a fundraising device.
  • Kirk will explore with the City how to obtain a Tier III designation for properties along Beecham’s Curve, next to Mountain Valley Spring Water and Builders First.
  • Kirk will continue to monitor the City’s discussions with NCDOT about lowering the speed limit on Amboy Road.
  • Adam will inform the Safety Committee members that they should promote the idea of a crime watch and gather evidence of interest from residents in organizing a crime watch on their street in order to place an hour session with the Asheville police on the agenda for an EWANA neighborhood meeting.
  • Mandy will email Ava Carr to see if EWANA is approved yet for an Adopt-a-Highway program along Haywood Road.
  • Jason will plot EWANA member addresses on a map for Board and general EWANA use.
  • Jason and Adam need to figure out the admin roles for the EWANA website.
  • All Board members will try to attend the next CAN meeting on April 13.
  • All Board members will discuss, via email, topics for the May neighborhood meeting.

Hold Over Action Items

  • Rich, within the next month, will brief Stephen on the Treasurer duties, transfer files and jointly set up a checking account at Asheville Savings Bank.
  • All available Board members will attend the Festival of Neighborhoods on March 15.
  • Stephen will investigate how other small organizations have used a fiscal agent.

Neighborhood Potluck on March 1st

20 Feb

Everyone Welcome!  Bring What You Can (Food, Drinks, Games, Etc.)

ewana_potluck

RADTIP Design Firm Presentation on New Belgium Truck Route, Protected Bike Lanes on Riverside

21 Nov

1. Presented by CDM Smith at the Asheville Area Riverfront Redevelopment Commission Nov. 13th, 2014 meeting1

 

2. Some preliminary stuff. RADTIP is a project to turn 2.5 miles of Riverside Drive into a showcase boulevard with sidewalks, greenways, art and new development. (click to enlarge)

2 3 4 5

 

3. As part of a combined effort by neighbors, New Belgium, and city government, the design firm was directed to look at ways to make RADTIP suitable for New Belgium trucks (and note: “Other projects planned in within RAD”, meaning other possible upcoming industrial developments.) 6

 

4. Potential New Belgium truck route/RADTIP in red. Initial main route (Haywood Rd.) in orange, designated secondary route (Amboy Rd.) in yellow.7

 

5. Problem #1: This bridge is too low:

8

 

6. The CDM Smith team created a 3D model of the railroad bridge

9 10

 

7. Using auger holes, they found the road under the bridge can be lowered up to two feet without damaging its structure, and the road re-graded to improve drainage there. Permission from Norfolk Southern would be needed for this.11

 

8. Problem #2: the intersection of Craven Street and Riverside Drive is too tight for trucks to turn (plus the other bullet points below)12 13

 

9. Engineering a wide enough turn. A roundabout at the intersection is ruled out as too unwieldy, requiring too much city-claimed property, and not in keeping with the character of the road. A signalized intersection is favored. The Planters Tobacco barn, being in a floodway, cannot be repurposed and is expected to be demolished.
14

 

10. One idea is to widen the existing bridge by building new structure off of it to the tobacco barn side, adding a turning lane, 10 foot bike and walking path on one side, and 5′ 6″ sidewalk on the other. This would cost about $4 million.15

 

11. The other idea is to build a second bridge to the north (tobacco barn side) of the existing bridge, turning the current bridge into two lanes going toward Riverside. The new bridge would have one lane coming toward West Asheville, plus a 10′ bike lane and 10′ pedestrian walkway, side-by-side. This idea would cost about $2.6 million. This idea is technically and financially preferable, and the direction the city is pursuing. Plus it’s a better multimodal connection.16

 

12. CDM Smith’s analysis says a second bridge would tie in okay with the new road work on the West Asheville/New Belgium side.17

 

13. This ties in with plans to create a trailhead and major river parking/access at the corner of Craven Street and Emma Road, next to New Belgium.

18 19

 

14. The other part of the presentation concerned a proposal by Asheville on Bikes to create protected bike lanes on Riverside Drive20

 

15. Protected bike lanes are separated from traffic by space, parked cars, and/or posts.21

 

16. Like this.22

 

17. A major issue raised was whether these would move the roadway outside of the area covered in the Federal Environmental Impact Study, a very hard document to get and update.23

 

18. Some discussion on where to place a pedestrian bridge over the river.24

 

19. The likeliest locations are right next to Amboy Road (in its shadow, hydrologically speaking) or across from Riverview Station.25

 

20. A Riverview Station bridge would have to be raised on ramps well above the floodway, costing $1.5 to $15 million dollars, depending on how fancy.

26

 

21. Next steps. Plans expected at City Council in January, Public Input in February.27

 

22. The end.28

Haywood Road Sidewalk Art Project

15 Nov

1. In 2013, as a way of addressing potential problems from traffic caused by the New Belgium brewery being built on Craven Street in East West Asheville, the City of Asheville agreed to a project (partially funded through a grant from New Belgium) to create bike lanes and complete sidewalks on the uphill side of Haywood Road, coming from the river. The new bike lane has been painted, and six-foot sidewalks are scheduled to be poured in early 2015.EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.001

2. Most of Haywood Road climbing the hill from the river will look like this:
EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.002

3. As the project was being designed, neighborhood residents asked if artistic or decorative elements could be added to the sidewalk as it was being built or immediately after (Think Riverwalk in Austin). The idea was to represent West Asheville art, culture, and history; and to enliven the walk up the hill from the River Arts District. With the city’s permission, a committee began looking at possible motifs drawing on local architecture — especially the old West Asheville Fire Department, now A Touch of Glass in East West Asheville, which was also the inspiration for the West Asheville sign about 25 years ago:EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.003

4. The committee landed on the idea of using a keystone design drawn from the Fire Dept. windows, a sort of frame which could be filled in with references to the history, culture and art of our neighborhood, and eventually replicated throughout West Asheville:EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.004

5. One possible variant would orient the keystones to compass directions, so as the sidewalk curved up the hill, it would orient pedestrians to the area and point West into West Asheville:EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.005

6. The WEST could be emphasized or incorporated to varying degrees:
EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.006

7. And the interior of the “frame” could be filled in any number of ways. At the November EWANA meeting, attendees agreed a committee should start to hash out details and identify possible art or design to include in the “frames”:EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.007

8. Some details: The icons will start at Craven Street intersection and run up the uphill side of Haywood to Beechum’s Curve (where the daycare was). There will initially be about 25 frames, or one every 100 feet from the river. They will be done in road paint rather than concrete stain, so as to include icons on the current existing sections of sidewalk, and will be done by stencil by city crews. After the stenciling, neighbors will be responsible for designs, identifying artists, and upkeep. If the icons are tagged, the city has said it will treat them like any other graffiti and erase them. The whole project must be ADA compliant.

So that’s all good. Now the tough part:

9. Initially, part of the art project included adding a stripe along the edge of the sidewalk:

EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.008

10. The point (besides being pretty) was to demarcate the edge of the walk through long areas of continuous curb cut (i.e., areas without a real curb, where cars can pull in at any point, which is dangerous to bicyclists and pedestrians.)

EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.009

11. NCDOT maintains Haywood Road along its whole length. It has a set of standards for marking things like bike lanes where there are intersections or possible car crossings:EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.010

12. For the new sidewalk the standards are less clear. Should the edge be marked by a broken line where cars can cross — and in what color? These are important questions that won’t be resolved soon. We’re requesting volunteers that can help interpret DOT’s standards and work with the state and city to get this important thing done.
EWANA-Haywood-sidewalk.011

So we’re looking for ideas, inspiration, and participation. If you’re interested, please follow East West Asheville Neighborhood Association on Facebook or contact us one of these ways. We’ll be coming back to the community for ideas and input as the process moves forward. Thanks for being part of something cool, unique to our city, artistic, and lasting for years to come! Cheers.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.